The fort of Cabo De Rama which is 30 kms from Margao, is the biggest fort in Goa, believed to be constructed in 1679 on the orders of Shivaji Maharaj. It was later captured by the Portuguese in the year of 1763 from the ruler of Soonda. The term Cabo de Rama means Cape of Rama, and it is rumored that Lord Rama stayed here during his exile.
The fort of Cabo De Rama is located on the Canacona district of south Goa. Margao is 25 kms away from Cabo De Rama. There are regular bus services that travel from Margao to the Fort every day. The nearby railway station at Margao provides taxis, buses, auto rickshaws as well as two-wheeler rides for the adventurous ones. A cab/taxi from the Dabolim airport takes about one and half hour to get to Canacona.